Now that I had all four legs sitting in their respective mortises, I turned my attention to the bottom shelf and stretchers which hold it in place.
Ive become a convert to boring out mortise waste with an auger before squaring with a chisel.
The scotch eye bits I snagged off Ebay really work wanders where normal auger bits dont dare to go, especially end grain.
Planing down my vise chop, which was just the left overs from my 12/4 bench slab, really too big for a chop, but its what I had on hand and wont flex under load.
I went with the 1 1/2″ Tap set from Woodcraft, small but will work for now, at least until I can set up the tools to make larger screws.
Just couldn’t resist breaking out the boring machine to make the leg hole for the vise screw nice and straight! Love this machine!
A rough shape up of the chop with Bertha and Ethel, the Disston No 7 twins, Ethel is the pretty one…followed by a quick clean up using a drawknife, and chisel finished the chop. Went ahead and threw on a tusk tenon for the parallel guide.
A plow plane, moving fillister, and a pair of 7/8 T&G planes made quick work out of my bottom drawer.
After draw boring and pegging the legs on their respective sides, we slid in our drawer bottom boards and used a small spanish windlass to tighten everything up for the last round of pegging.
Its amazing how a bunch of rickety legs and stretchers lock down into a super solid state of being once they are draw bored and sunk into their mortises in the bench top. About this time I was so ready to start using this bench, trying to plane off a saw horse propped against a tree for support gets old rather fast! Next time we will look at installing the top shelf/tool well and working on the end caps. She is nearing completion and Im so ready to use all that shelf space!!!